Saturday, July 20, 2019

The story of the "Lil Red Canoe"

                           The lil Red Canoe project

    Hi my name is Daniel Marlatt , I am a photographer and mixed medium textural artist.
I started the "lil red canoe project July 11 2019.
The concept started very simple , I live by the Miskwaa Ziibi river located in Trent Lakes On , where I have opened my art studio and then an Open Air Art Gallery , displaying art hung outdoors under nature's canopy of maple and oak trees.
As I have mentioned I live by the Miskwaa Ziibi river and area very rich with history of logging and spiritual to the Ojibwa peoples whom resided and gave them their means of survival along its banks.
I can be found in the evening sitting by the river after a long day with the gallery and reflecting what would life be like a couple of hundred years ago.
I know the Ojibwa peoples were creative and I was always creative so I suppose we melded together.
I will be posting additional stories and images as time goes by

   Well it's been 2 weeks now since the launch of the lil red canoe project and it is getting recognition , when I started it the intent was 1 per day for 99 days.
It is gaining alot of attention , not just this format but in social media and with that I have set myself a higher goal.
Now people can come and visit and release a lil red canoe for whatever the reason , and not limit 1 per day but set many free any day,as long as at least one is set free.
My new goal is 999 or however long I can create them.
I hope are enjoying my and the lil red canoe story and follow us and ask  friends and family to also follow us along in this journey of life.
With the world full of so much pain , the lil red canoe is my small part to bring some sense of it all , people coming out and asking to release a lil red canoe for what ever reason , who would think a small hand crafted piece of soft pine has helped so many people so far , I see and feel when some people first show up , so tense and reserved , but after the experience leaving so relieved and that is what I enjoy the most about the process.
This project has really evolved into something very special , with no cost or obligation to anyone ,my way to share.
As the project continues to evolve I also invite viewers of the blog from anywhere around the world to have a lil red canoe released in the river for them or even dedicate one for someone they know.

I Daniel Marlatt reserve the copyrights to the lil red canoe as the creator , hand sculpted from white pine approx. 2" long 3/4 " wide , infused with red wine and pyrography applied to the top , they are not for sale .


3 comments:

  1. Wonderful project. Wish you good luck. Enlighten us on the purpose of your project please.We are a non profit group promoting Organic Gardening in the city of Markham, ON. We are on face Book and own a Blog under the name "Cornell Community Garden"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment , the purpose of the project is to engage people , some may wish to release the lil red canoes with no cost or obligation , some may make a wish , some just need to "let go" of something , some may be found , some may never be found , some may journey to lake Ontario and beyond.

      Delete
  2. I find myself going back to the beginning of the project and reflect on the impact of peoples lives, who would really know how a small piece of pine soaked in red wine and burned , I am very happy how the project has evolved and continues to do so.

    ReplyDelete

Today was the big day for release.

  Hey all , I decided to release the "Miskwaa Message in a bottle" canoe on April 3 2022 , I felt the spring run off hit it's ...